RCDEHistory

FOUNDED BY CATALAN UNIVERSITY STUDENTS

The Reial Club Deportiu Espanyol de Barcelona is one of the oldest football clubs in the Spanish League. On October 28, 1900, in the classrooms of the University of Barcelona, ​​the Spanish Football Society was born, the name given to the Club by its founder and first president, Ángel Rodríguez. The main signs of identity, and what determined the original name of this new Sports Club was that all its components were Catalan or born in the rest of Spain, as opposed to the other teams, mostly made up of English and other nationalities.

YELLOW, THE CLUB’S ORIGINAL COLOR

Although RCD Espanyol de Barcelona today wears blue and white, yellow was the original color of the Club, for the simple reason that it was the color of the piece of clothing that one of its first partners gave to the Entity to make their uniforms. Later on, the club wore a white shirt and blue pants, and, in 1909, it was already wearing the current blue and white colors, those that Admiral Roger de Llúria wore on his coat of arms.

RENOWNED PLAYERS

Throughout its trajectory, Espanyol has had world-famous players and has nurtured the Spanish National Team with many of them. The first great blue and white idol was the legendary goalkeeper Ricardo Zamora. After him, other players, such as Alfredo Di Stefano, Kubala or N’Kono, took the witness from him.

HIGH LEVEL BASE FOOTBALL

The Club has a subsidiary team, Espanyol ‘B’, twelve youth football teams, women’s football and a football school. All of them train and play their home games at the Dani Jarque Sports City in Sant Adrià, inaugurated in September 2001.

FROM SARRIÀ TO THE OLYMPIC

The current RCD Espanyol de Barcelona began to play their matches on a large esplanade, very close to the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona. From 1923 until the 1996-97 season, the Sarriá stadium, popularly known as ‘Can Rabia’ or ‘la Bombonera’, in the Ricardo Zamora square, was the fiefdom of the Catalan team.
In 1997, the Club was forced to sell Sarrià and moved to the Lluís Companys Olympic Stadium in Montjuïc, where RCD Espanyol played its matches until the 2008-2009 season, with an average of 22,500 spectators per match. During these 12 years the team achieved great successes such as the King’s Cups in 2000 and 2006 or qualification for the 2007 UEFA Cup Final, a competition where they were not defeated in any game.
Montjuïc also experienced moments of euphoria, such as the team’s salvation in the 2003-2004 season thanks to a Tamudo goal against Murcia, or Coro’s goal in added time against Real Sociedad, which allowed Espanyol to remain in the highest category in 2006 and face the way to the construction of the new house in Cornellà-El Prat, where the club moved on July 10, 2009.

FOUR CUP TITLES: 1929, 1940, 2000 AND 2006

The first great conquest in the history of Espanyolismo was the Macaia Cup, in the 1902-1903 season. In 1912, H.M. King Alfonso XIII granted the title of Reial [Royal] and the use of the crown that today appears on its shield. When the National League Championship was inaugurated in 1929, Espanyol was among the founding clubs, scoring the first official goal of this Competition. That same year, the blue and white team was proclaimed champion of the King’s Cup, a title that it revalidated in 1940, in 2000, in full celebration of the centenary of its foundation, and in 2006. At an international level, it obtains a very high recognition, important in 1988, when its was runner-up in the UEFA Cup in Leverkusen. In May 2007, it managed to reach the European final again, and was runner-up against Sevilla FC, standing out for not having lost any game in its entire career.

TWO TIMES UEFA CUP FINALISTS

RCD Espanyol has been a two-time UEFA Cup finalist. In 1988, with Javier Clemente as trainer, it played in the UEFA final against Bayer Leverkusen, and in 2007, with Ernesto Valverde as trainer, against Sevilla FC. The Blue and Whites reached this final without losing any game throughout the competition

A NEW STADIUM MARKS THE FUTURE OF THE CLUB

At the beginning of 2002, RCD Espanyol de Barcelona announced the start of the procedures for the construction of a new stadium owned by it in the municipality of Cornellà-El Prat, neighboring the city of Barcelona. After long administrative procedures, in 2007 the piloting works of the Stadium began and the countdown started. The new stadium project marks the beginning of a new era for Espanyolismo, which now has its own home again: the RCD Espanyol Stadium in Cornellà-El Prat, the most modern football stadium in Spain, with a capacity for 40,000 people, and cataloged with 4 stars by UEFA.